St Michael's Primary School

Together we achieve

Absence, Illness & Attendance



If your child is ill, please keep them at home.  If they, or anyone else in your household, has a new continuous cough, has lost their sense of taste or smell or has a high temperature please call 111 for advice and follow the government guidance to book a COVID-19 test. Your child cannot return to school until you have confirmation of a negative test result.  If the result of the test is positive and your child has been attending school, you must inform the school immediately.


If you can, please take your child’s temperature at home before they come to see that they are well enough to come to school.



If your child is unable to attend school, please inform the school office as soon as possible.  This can be done via WEDUC, emailing or by phoning the school office on 0118 901 5550 and selecting option one.  An answer phone is available out of office hours.

Returning to School following Illness


Whether a child should attend school, or return to school following absence, depends upon the nature of the illness.  Specific advice from the NHS can be found here, and from Public Health England can be found here


Where symptoms include vomiting and/or diarrhoea, please note that children should not return to school until 48 hours after those symptoms have stopped.




Where possible, medical and dental appointments should be arranged for a time outside of school hours.  We appreciate that this is not always possible and if you do need to collect your child during the school day, please let their teacher know.  Children should be collected from the school office they must be signed out.  We would not expect children to be absent for more than a half day for a doctors/dentist appointment.

Administering Medication


Prescribed medicines can only be administered at school by prior arrangement.  In such cases, parents will be asked to provide the below consent form to the school office and to provide the medicine clearly in its original dispensed packaging.  The consent form will clearly indicate the name of the child, the name and dosage of the medication and any further details which may be necessary.   In some cases, when medicine needs to be given for a prolonged period, a letter from the child’s General Practitioner may be required. 

Illness in School


When children fall ill, school staff will attempt to contact parents or carers so that the child can be collected.  The school expects parents and carers to arrange for their child to be collected as quickly as possible.  If the school is unable to reach priority contacts, we will attempt to reach other individuals from the child's contacts list.  It is therefore important that parents inform the school of any changes to their contact details.  


If any child is taken seriously ill and the school is unable to contact the parents, we will act “in loco parentis” (in the parents’ place) and take the best course of action we see fit for the child’s welfare. This may involve allowing appropriate medical staff to administer emergency medication.

Requests for Extended Periods of Absence


Regulations permit parents to request leave of absence for up to 10 continuous days in any school year. This request must be made to the Headteacher in writing long before the planned absence. It is only fair that parents know that the school cannot support such extended absence from the classroom and that such requests will not be authorised.  If you then choose to go on holiday and your child’s attendance is already poor, the Education Welfare Service will involve itself and you could be served with a fixed penalty notice. Two weeks holiday is 5% of the teaching time available for your child. Add on to that a few days illness and your child is going to have serious difficulty in keeping up and understanding what is being taught. 


There is a form to be filled in to notify us of your intention to take your child on holiday in term time and this is available from the school office.  The Head teacher will review the circumstances and provide you with a reply slip giving their decision.